Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Catalina Island

Raychel was a member of the Environmental Club at John Glenn Middle School. Their teacher Kim Ussery did an excellent job getting the students ready to compete in the Quick Silver Science Challenge.
Their project took 2nd place and was awarded a trip to Catalina Island for the Day. So I took the day off and helped ch
aperon the girls. We left @ 4:30 in the morning and drove to Long Beach to get on the boat by 7:00 a.m. The boat ride to Catalina Island was about 45 minutes out to sea. I get seasick just driving around town, so I was really scared about going out in the ocean. However the weather was good and the ride was smooth.

Here is the boat we took out to sea! This is Raychel and I out on deck taking in the beautiful ocean view.

We went on a short nature hike to the top of the Island. This is Raychel and her friend Coco.
We had hands on experience looking at all the different sea creatures that live in the ocean near the Island. It was fun to actually hold a sea cucumber and starfish.
This is the group getting ready to go out in the Kayaks! They took a tour around the Island in Kayaks, exploring caves and other ocean animals. They had a bunch of seals follow them around. Raychel had a blast. I really don't like to be in the water, so I passed up the Kayak adventure.

This is Raychel and CoCo in their Kayak!
It is times like this when I am glad we live in California. This was a trip we will never forget.

No comments: